Skip to content
 
1 4

By Edward Jones –  August 03, 2021

Mecum Monterey 2021: 2017 Lamborghini Centenario

Presented by Mecum Auctions - Ferruccio Lamborghini founded Automobili Lamborghini S.p.A. in 1963 with the goal of producing the best cars in the world. The cars would be handcrafted, use the best materials and be the product of the best engineers, designers and craftsmen available. A few rumors persist as to why Ferruccio entered the market with his own motorcar, which only enriches the whole experience behind the cars, the company and the man. He was born in April 1916, and to celebrate his 100th birthday the company that bears his name built the Centenario. In keeping with tradition, the Centenario was radically styled using carbon fiber panels and a monocoque carbon fiber chassis. It employed all-wheel drive and offered the most powerful engine available from the company, as well as rear-wheel steering, a first for Lamborghini. Only 40 would be built for worldwide consumption: 20 roadsters and 20 coupes. Standard coloring for the coupe would be bare carbon fiber with yellow accents, while the roadster would appear in a Matte Gray hue, but, of course, customers could order a Centenario in any color they wanted. Of them, only nine would be destined for North America in 2017, and this is one of them. Having covered only 863 miles from new, Lamborghini of Newport Beach serviced the car in July 2021. The naturally aspirated 6.5L V-12 engine produces 759 HP, which, along with the 7-speed automatic transmission, propels the car from 0-60 MPH in 2.8 seconds and on to a top speed of a governor-limited 217 MPH. Carbon ceramic brakes with silver calipers scrub off speed with ease, with only 101-feet needed to bring the Centenario to a standstill from 60 MPH. With the car finished in Blue Cepheus Pearlescent and Blue Hera, bright silver accents have been hand painted to add even more visual interest, the bespoke two-tone color combination highlighting the body’s nuances. The interior is fitted with carbon fiber bucket seats and interior accents, and passengers will enjoy a touchscreen infotainment center. To be sold with books and two keys, tools, a car cover and battery tender, it also has service records to document its history. This 2017 Lamborghini Centenario will be auctioned off during Mecum Auctions’ Monterey 2021 event, which runs August 12 to 14. View Online Listing

1 5

By Edward Jones –  August 02, 2021

Mecum Monterey 2021: 1959 Porsche 356A Convertible D

Presented by Mecum Auctions - The Porsche 356A Convertible D (“D” standing for Drauz, the coachbuilder) is arguably the rarest “production” Porsche 356 model ever manufactured for a full year. Only 1,331 Convertible Ds were made between August 1958 and September 1959. By 1958, the Speedster model was four years old and sales were declining. Overall sales of Porsches were growing, and Ruetter, Porsche’s primary coachbuilder, was straining to keep up with demand. Porsche contracted with Karosseriewerke Drauz in Heilbronn to manufacture bodies for the replacement for the Speedster. This 1959 Porsche 356 Convertible D is the last of the 1,331 produced and an ideal example of Drauz’s work. This 356 was purchased by a resident of Colorado Springs, Colorado, who took delivery of the car at the Porsche factory through the tourist delivery program. The original owner enjoyed driving his Convertible D throughout Europe. The Kardex shows the car was serviced in both Switzerland and Italy before being imported into the U.S. through Max Hoffman’s New York dealership. Once in Colorado, the Convertible D was a cherished member of the original owner’s family. The 356 was used for family drives, as well as the occasional gymkhana event. Ultimately, the 356 was sold and made its way to an owner in Monterey, California. This owner used the 356 as a weekend car as well. The next owner, a well-known 356 aficionado, jumped at the chance to own the last Convertible D produced when it became available in 2014. The present owner, no stranger to the Porsche marque, acquired the 356 in 2016. While the 356 was always a running, driving car, the present owner believed the Convertible D, being the last car produced of the model, merited a concours-quality restoration. In 2017, the owner made the decision to carry out a no-expense-spared, concours-level restoration on the Convertible D. A Porsche Parade-winning restorer was retained to handle the restoration of the Convertible D. He stripped the paint off of the 356 revealing a solid and original car, with no evidence of accidents with only minimal rust. Additionally, it still retained its matching body panels, each stamped with the number 30. Setting to work, he replaced the floors and longitudinals, as well as the front fender edges. The doors, hood and decklid were all fitted and adjusted to match the factory settings, and the entire car was completely metal finished and primed. An original swatch of period-correct silver paint was sourced and matched, and the whole car was sprayed with Glasurit paint, just as original 356s were in period. Wanting both a stunning visual car as well as a performer, every mechanical system in the car was fully addressed for functionality and originality. The matching-numbers 1600cc Super engine was rebuilt with original pistons and cylinders, and it uses correct dual Zenith carburetors. The original 716 transaxle was fitted with new syncros and carrier. The rest of the car received the same level of attention to detail; brakes and suspension were rebuilt to factory specs, and all of the car’s hardware was correctly plated and installed. This meticulous care for authenticity ensured that nothing was left to chance in being the best it would be. Parts were replaced when needed, but extra special attention was paid to preserving and restoring as many original parts when possible. Taking extra care in making sure that the car was extremely period correct, a swatch of original vinyl was matched to obtain the correct color, texture and sheen. Upholstery details unique to the Drauz 356's were strictly followed, distinguishing the car from its Ruetter brethren. Throughout the entire process items were restored piece by piece, ensuring nothing was overlooked and everything was in concours-presentable condition. Extra attention was paid to ensure all of the Kardex-identified accessories to the Convertible D remain with the car. On the exterior, this 356 retains its side mirror, U.S. bumpers with overriders, and a chrome luggage rack affixed to the decklid. In the interior, the Convertible D retains its comfort seats with recliners, and an extremely rare pair of seat belts. Best New 2023 Convertibles: MUST READ As one’s eyes study the Convertible D, more and more original details become apparent: both front and rear bumpers are stamped with 830, the last three digits of its VIN; each of the eight bumper irons are also stamped with 830; the restored original hubcaps and hubcap emblems, not new reproductions; the correct logos on all glass; original headlamp lenses with correct markings; and the list goes on. Also included is an original tool kit, restored jack, owner’s manual and Drauz supplement. This Porsche 356 Convertible D is ready for the next owner to show and win on the concours field, or to simply drive and enjoy. Either way, being the last Speedster-bodied production car, this Convertible D would be a star in anyone’s collection. This 1959 Porsche 356A Convertible D will be auctioned off during Mecum Auctions’ Monterey 2021 event, which runs August 12 to 14. View Online Listing

1929 Duesenberg Model J Butterfly Dual Cowl Phaeton by Murphy 0

By Edward Jones –  August 01, 2021

RM Sotheby’s Presents The Paul Andrews Estate Collection:...

Presented by RM Sotheby's THE MURPHY DUAL-COWL PHAETON The coachwork by the Walter M. Murphy Company of Pasadena, California, has become so linked with the Duesenberg name that it is easy to forget the firm worked on Model J chassis for scarcely three years. Yet in many ways Murphy was the ideal shop to work on the Duesenberg, an automobile that was most frequently favored not by conservative, well-established families but by the sportsmen and women who could appreciate what twin cams, 260 horsepower, and the resulting aggressive speed could add to their already devil-may-care lives. It was the well-to-do of this mindset who flocked to Southern California in the late 1920s and early 1930s, and Murphy met their sensibilities literally line-for-line with cleanly drawn sporting coachwork ideally suited to the spirit of the Model J. Many of the best of these designs flowed from the pencil of Franklin Q. Hershey, a slim, bespectacled artist in Murphy’s studio. Hershey excelled at designs that formed a single shape, with few ostentatious additional chrome folderols to distract the eye. This was never better demonstrated than on the dual-cowl phaeton design he drew for the Model J. The rear cowl, a cumbersome addition usually to even the best designs of this type, was exceptionally well integrated, fitting virtually flush with the tops of the doors. The rear windshield and the cowl itself were both split down the center, and each half of the cowl would lift to permit a passenger in and out—a feature that came to be known, colloquially, as the “butterfly” cowl, and became a signature of Murphy dual-cowl phaetons of this era. J-403, “MARRYING MANVILLE,” AND THE EARLY YEARS OF COLLECTING Three Murphy Dual-Cowl Phaetons were delivered on the short-wheelbase Model J chassis, of which the example offered here is one of two produced to this design, without exterior door handles and with concealed rear door hinges and carefully concealed windows in the front doors. Body number 987, it was originally delivered on car number J-336 to Harry W. Curran of Chicago, but passed within a few months to Tommy Manville, the oft-married heir to the Johns-Manville asbestos fortune, whose matrimonial antics made him a feature of the society pages in this era. One soon-to-be-ex-Mrs. Manville later recalled finding her husband not present in bed on their wedding night; she soon located him in the carriage house, performing mechanical work on a Rolls-Royce. That was Tommy Manville, a man whose passion for automobiles was probably more heartfelt than his passion for the ladies. He was a prolific acquirer of the best new cars from the late 1920s through the 1930s, often plucking the latest creations from auto show stands. In the early 1930s J-336 returned to the New York Duesenberg Factory Branch, but it remained in the Empire State as it changed hands through a selection of short-term owners in the years before World War II. By 1955 it had migrated a short distance to New Jersey, and that April was sold by A.B. Heinsohn of Convent to C. Richard Bell of Reading, Pennsylvania. Dick Bell was an extremely active early member of the Antique Automobile Club of America, the Auburn Cord Duesenberg Club, and the Classic Car Club of America, participating in many of their early activities on the East Coast. His taste in automobiles was extraordinary, with his collection also including the revered Packard “Car of the Dome” that had headlined the 1933-1934 Chicago World’s Fair. As was common in this early enthusiast era, Bell exchanged the Duesenberg’s body with another chassis. Chassis number 169 had originally carried a Murphy Convertible Coupe body and engine number J-145, subsequently replaced early in life with the current unit, number J-403. Bell had J-403 / 2169 crowned with the Murphy Dual-Cowl Phaeton body in the course of a full restoration by the Wendling Brothers, who finished the car in an unforgettable creamy white with red leather interior—a livery in which the car soon became famous through its many Eastern show appearances over the next three years. In many ways, Murphy Dual-Cowl Phaeton number J-403 was probably the best-known Duesenberg on the “Right Coast” in this period. In January 1958, soon after the car had won its CCCA Primary First Prize, Bell sold J-403 to William Swigart, Jr., for his family’s automobile museum in Huntingdon, Pennsylvania. Aside from very infrequent ventures out to shows, the car would live in the museum for nearly half a century. A CAR TO KEEP In the fall of 2007, J-403 was sold to satisfy the estate of Helen Swigart, thus returning it to market for the first time in 49 years. Its fortunate buyer was Paul Andrews, who shortly submitted the car to Steve Babinsky’s Automotive Restorations of Lebanon, New Jersey, to be returned to its original classic elegance. In a recent conversation, Mr. Babinsky noted that the body retained all of its original sheet metal and wood, preserved during restoration aside from minor repairs to the fenders, and that the engine was fully rebuilt with new Carillo rods. At completion of the work, J-403 was shown at the 2009 Pebble Beach Concours d’Elegance, winning 2nd in Class, followed by Best in Class honors at the Amelia Island Concours d’Elegance the following year. It went on to achieve a Senior First Prize with 99.5 points at the CCCA Annual Meeting in Dallas in 2012. The story of J-403 in the Andrews ownership does not end in the typical fashion however, with a stack of restoration receipts and tales of concours victories. It is, frankly, one of the few Model Js that has enjoyed more of its post-restoration career on the road than on the show field. There are the long-distance tours, of course—the tests of a car’s quality of restoration and maintenance that included no fewer than three of the annual Duesenberg Tours, the 2011 Colorado Grand through the Rocky Mountains, and, that same year, the Pebble Beach Motoring Classic between Seattle and Monterey, together accumulating about 5,500 very reliable miles. Yet the car has also been regularly used around the Andrews home state of Texas, for the pure joy of driving. The receipts for the maintenance through the years are thoroughly impressive, with literally every single need rapidly attended to by the highly skilled Andrews team to ensure that J-403 would always be 100 percent sorted and ready to not just run, but to perform superbly, as-new, at the speeds for which it was manufactured and over both long and short distances. Most recently, new solid 19/700 rims were made for the car specifically to fit radial tires, while the original set of 19/750 split-rim wheels and bias-ply tires accompany the car loose. While the odometer reads scarcely 1,500 miles, that is low due to its having been rebuilt; John Standifer, the Andrews’ longtime collection manager, estimates that Paul and Chris Andrews together put over 7,000 miles on the car in the last dozen years both on tours and in “normal use.” After all those miles of “normal use,” J-403 still remains extremely attractive in excellent overall cosmetic condition, with the only major indication of use being the typical loss of porcelain on the exhaust manifold. Inspection of the car shows that it retains the original frame and firewall, both correctly numbered 2169, as well as the original engine number J-403, including both the correctly numbered original bell-housing and the original crankshaft, number 403. Paul Andrews loved Duesenbergs, and several examples of the marque passed through his hands over the years. J-403, however, is the one he kept and exercised, and which became, perhaps more than any other automobile in the collection, indelibly associated with him and his ethos: an extraordinary automobile, superbly restored, maintained to the very highest of mechanical and cosmetic standards, and treasured not just for its beauty but for its performance. RM Sotheby’s is thrilled to announce the expansion of its Monterey auction this year with a third auction night dedicated to the incomparable Paul Andrews Estate Collection. Offered almost entirely without reserve, the impressive collection will kick-off RM’s flagship auction weekend on Thursday, 12 August.  View Listing

1948 Cadillac Eldorod by Boyd 4

By Edward Jones –  July 31, 2021

RM Sotheby’s Presents The Paul Andrews Estate Collection:...

Presented by RM Sotheby's - The expansive vision of Paul Andrews Collection also included select historic street rods and customs, which he admired for their imaginative design, fascinating engineering and, of course, performance. One of the most noteworthy is this significant 1948 Cadillac, known as “Eldorod,” which was the first automobile drawn for Boyd Coddington by Chip Foose and, significantly, Boyd’s personal car. Beginning as a stock 1948 Cadillac, the car was moved to a custom-fabricated steel chassis with C4 Corvette independent suspension, carrying a Chevrolet 502-cubic-inch V-8 and TH400 automatic transmission. The body had its rear quarter panels welded to the body, the tailfins and wheel moldings completely reshaped, and the body moldings hand-made from scratch. New bumpers, grille, windshield, and aluminum top were also custom-made for the project, as was the billet air cleaner under the hood; 18-inch billet wheels finished off the exterior. The interior was dressed with custom gauges and a Boyd’s custom leather-wrapped billet steering wheel. In this form, “Eldorod” was the last car out of Hot Rods by Boyd before its parent company’s 1997 bankruptcy. Its designer, Chip Foose, would later restyle the car in his own shop. A 1956 Chevrolet front bumper and 1954 Pontiac grille, reworked with 1957 Nomad bumper guards, were fitted to the snout, while the hood itself was sectioned and lengthened to fit the curve of a custom windshield and A-pillars. The peaks of the front fenders were extended into the doors and frenched in, with 1952 Ford headlight extensions and hand-made chrome bezels. The tops of the doors and the rear quarter panels were sectioned and blended into the sectioned rear decklid, flanked by reshaped taillights with custom lenses. Wheel openings were also reshaped. Much of the body hardware was hand-formed of brass that was carefully fitted and then chrome-plated. Foose Design’s Freddy and Jed Valdez painted “Eldorod” in glistening Huntington Blue, slightly toned darker by adding black, as per Foose’s original vision for the car; beautiful enamel pinstriping was laid on by Dennis Ricklefs. A removable hardtop was hand-shaped by the revered Marcel’s Custom Metal and covered in Haartz cloth. The side and rear glass were cut by Eddie Kotto. Inside, the original gauges were reworked by Redline Gauge Works, while the seating area was updated with leather upholstery and German square-weave carpeting. Underneath, “Eldorod” retained, and still does today, much of its Boyd-fitted drivetrain, with the engine fed by a 1,375-cfm FAST EZ-EFI kit, cooled by a Mattson’s aluminum radiator, and exhaling through stainless steel MagnaFlow pipes and mufflers. Custom one-off Foose wheels were machined by Mike Curtis design and shod in Pirelli P Zero tires. Subsequently, part of the noted collection of Wayne Davis prior to its acquisition by Paul Andrews, “Eldorod” has been featured in an online article from Hot Rod magazine, and justifiably so. It was envisioned by two of the most legendary names in the business. Boyd Coddington provided the impetus, funding, and shop to bring it to life the first time; Chip Foose drew it, and later had the opportunity to recreate it exactly as he had originally envisioned it. Both men’s stamp is clearly present on the end result, a superb piece from the hands of two masters. RM Sotheby’s is thrilled to announce the expansion of its Monterey auction this year with a third auction night dedicated to the incomparable Paul Andrews Estate Collection. Offered almost entirely without reserve, the impressive collection will kick-off RM’s flagship auction weekend on Thursday, 12 August. View Listing

1955 Jaguar D Type 0

By Edward Jones –  July 30, 2021

RM Sotheby’s Presents The Paul Andrews Estate Collection:...

Presented by RM Sotheby's - The Jaguar D-Type looks its part in a way that even few other competition cars of the 1950s do: Even sitting still, it fairly radiates speed and lightness. It is, at its heart, a strong, lightweight monocoque body tub, snugly fitting the driver, with a solid rear axle and suspension assembly at their back; an XK-type twin-cam inline six, cradled in a subframe, snarling at their feet; and Dunlop disc brakes securing all four corners. The car appears light because it is light, introducing construction concepts that, while massively modernized, are still used today because they were successful in their day: The D-Type finished a narrow 2nd Overall in its first entry at Le Mans in 1954, then returned a year later to win outright. Jaguar withdrew from competition following the 1956 season, but the D-Type kept going, winning Le Mans two further times, in 1956 and 1957, for the Ecurie Ecosse. The D-Type became a star of endurance circuits because on a good surface and in the right skilled hands, almost nothing could beat it on straights or in curves. Yet, as chassis number XKD 530 offered here proved, it could be surprisingly, even surpassingly successful on other tarmac as well—becoming a worthy, colorful star in a nation far-flung from Goodwood and the Mulsanne Straight, and establishing a history that is truly all its own. It was the kind of history that Paul Andrews appreciated—history that it might be said, one can feel in the car, evoking a bygone age even as today’s sights and sounds hurtle past the edges of the curved windscreen. XKD 530: D-TYPE ON ICE One of 54 privateer D-Types produced, chassis XKD 530 left the factory on 13 February 1956, finished in British Racing Green, as noted on its Jaguar Daimler Heritage Trust Certificate. Finnish Jaguar dealer S.M.K. delivered the car in April 1956 to Curt Lincoln, a tennis player on Finland’s Davis Cup team, known in the racing world for his exploits in F3 midget cars and, more pointedly, a Jaguar C-Type. He now upgraded to the latest and best machinery, although he was none too eager to have the Finnish authorities know that. To avoid new vehicle tariffs on the D-Type, he reportedly had Jaguar fit a noticeably used steering wheel, “worn” pedals, and a discreetly tweaked odometer. The D-Type successfully arrived in Finland and was primarily campaigned in the country’s best-known race of the period, the Eläintarhanajo, held annually between 1932 and 1963 on a two-kilometer track in the heart of Helsinki. With a final drive ratio increased to 3.54:1, the car was driven by Mr. Lincoln under the banner of his Scuderia Askolin, named for the timber magnate who was part-team owner. It finished 1st in Class on 10 May 1956, followed by a second 1st in Class later in the season with its owner competing against his “old” C-Type, lent to Väinö Miettinen for the contest. XKD 530 would once again run the Eläintarhanajo in 1957, but its primary exploits after 1956 were in that most uniquely northern motorsport: ice racing. Running tires embedded with 1¾-inch spikes, XKD 530 and Mr. Lincoln achieved 1st Place finishes on the ice on 24 February and 10 March 1957. At that point, XKD 530 was refinished in Scuderia Askolin’s distinctive white and dark blue livery, and was handled largely by the team’s other drivers while Mr. Lincoln drove other cars. Correspondence suggests that Mr. Lincoln expressed interest in converting the car into an XK-SS for GT Class racing, but in the end undertook further competition modifications domestically, with Helsinki coachbuilders Wiima adding a full-length windscreen, a nearside door, and a custom tail fin. In this form the car continued to run in the 1958 season, recording numerous 1st and 2nd Place finishes to further embellish its record. On 26 May 1959, Mr. Lincoln wrote to Jaguar racing chief, F.R.W. “Lofty” England, stating that the rigors of competition had made an overhaul necessary. That December, XKD 530 arrived at the Works competition department at Coventry, and there the engine block was replaced with a factory 3.8-litre example. The 40-millimeter Weber carburetors were replaced with 45-millimeter units, the gearbox and brakes were reconditioned, and the car was refinished in white. XKD 530 then returned to Scuderia Askolin with a written tag stating “+100 hp,” and Mr. Lincoln resumed racing it, taking the checkered flag twice more in February 1960. In late 1960, after five seasons of highly successful competition, XKD 530 finally passed to its second owner, magazine publisher Olli Lyytikäinen, who continued to race the car, usually with future international rally driver Timo Mäkinen behind the wheel. The following year, the car experienced one of its most publicized races, when Heimo Hietarinta finished 1st in the Formula Libre class at the Leningrad Grand Prix on 27 August 1961. With this race, XKD 530 became what is believed to be the only D-Type to ever race in the Soviet Union—an occasion reported in the September 1961 issue of the Finish magazine, Tekniikan Maailma. MODERN HISTORY By November 1966, following several further short-term owners, XKD 530 was no longer competitive on Finland’s ice courses and was sold to the noted British collector, vintage racer, and prolific D-Type acquirer, Nigel Moores. When Moores acquired the car, it showed its hard use, with the body having been modified to an open two-seater cockpit with a truncated tail. Rebuilding the original body was prohibitively expensive given the value of what was, at the time, simply an outmoded race car. It was decided that the construction manner used on later D-Types, which involved separately bolting a front and rear chassis sub-frame to the body monocoque, afforded the opportunity to remove the damaged body while also preserving as many original chassis components as possible. Mr. Moores’ staff accordingly separated the chassis tub, mounted all-new bodywork in the factory long-nose style, and fitted the car with the wide-angle head D-Type engine originally used by the Briggs Cunningham team. The separated monocoque body, original factory-upgraded 3.8-liter engine, and gearbox, were put aside and eventually sold in the mid-1980s to historic racer John Harper, who repaired the coachwork and mounted it to an all-new chassis consisting largely of various original Jaguar factory components. Unfortunately, in a scenario not uncommon to the period, both cars were stamped with the chassis number XKD 530, and so a controversy gradually emerged as to the two cars’ proper identities and as to whom owned the “real” XKD 530. Ole Sommer, a D-Type owner and museum proprietor in Denmark, summed up the situation to Arthur Urciuoli after Urciuoli bought the original monocoque car in 1993. “It seems difficult,” Sommer wrote, “to rectify the situation, unless some benevolent person should decide to purchase both cars and exchange the front sub-frames and the legal documents, resulting in only one single car claiming to be XKD 530.” By the late 1990s, that path had become feasible, and Sommer’s wistful dream became reality when Gary Bartlett acquired both cars in 1998 and 2002 respectively. Both were delivered in late 2002 to D-Type historian and expert Chris Keith-Lucas’s highly regarded CKL Developments of East Sussex. Both cars were fully disassembled, with their individual part numbers noted, and after comparing them to original factory parts numbering, supplied by a longtime D-Type expert, the parts were separated and color-coded to identify which were original to XKD 530. Any doubt over which piece belonged to which car were put to rest when CKL remounted the repaired original monocoque onto the original chassis frame—and found that the original factory bolt holes, fortuitously not uniformly drilled, matched precisely for a form-fitting connection. As such, XKD 530 was finally completed in mid-2003, whole again once more. The completed car was taken to Goodwood, where it was photographed on the circuit for the conclusion of a five-part article, documenting its resurrection, by Paul Skilleter and Jim Patten that ran in Jaguar World Monthly magazine between December 2002 and September 2003. At Goodwood it was joined by Mike Salman, the veteran Le Mans driver who had captained several D-Types in-period. It went on to run the Mille Miglia Storica no fewer than four times, and was invited to the 2009 Concorso d’Eleganza Villa d’Este, the 2009 Pebble Beach Concours d’Elegance, and the 2011 Amelia Island Concours d’Elegance. Vintage racing participation included the Stirling Moss Trophy at the 2011 Silverstone Classic and the Sussex Trophy at both the 2011 and 2012 Goodwood Revivals, finishing 8th Overall and 1st among all D-Type entrants in the latter. The car then passed in 2013 to British enthusiast Andrew Baber. When it came time for Paul Andrews to acquire a D-Type, in 2015, it was natural that he looked to XKD 530. Accompanied by its FIVA Passport and FIA papers, having been scrutinized by some of the marque’s leading experts, and retaining once again its original factory-upgraded engine, transmission, chassis frame, monocoque body, and brake calipers, it was all that one could wish for. It had soon been added to the collection, and, in typical fashion, did not sit still for long; it is estimated that the car has been driven some nearly 2,500 miles in its Andrews ownership, including on the Colorado Grand. One wonders how many modern D-Type owners have covered that many miles at the wheel of their machine! The fuel cell bladder has been changed, with the original accompanying the car along with a roll bar and other large spares; further, the brakes and clutch have been rebuilt, as well as new Dunlop tires fitted. The story of XKD 530 pauses here before continuing, in the hands of a new owner, who, as Paul Andrews did, will appreciate all of its many robust attributes on road, track, or ice. RM Sotheby’s is thrilled to announce the expansion of its Monterey auction this year with a third auction night dedicated to the incomparable Paul Andrews Estate Collection. Offered almost entirely without reserve, the impressive collection will kick-off RM’s flagship auction weekend on Thursday, 12 August. View Listing

1957 Mercedes Benz 300 SL Gullwing 0

By Edward Jones –  July 29, 2021

RM Sotheby’s Presents The Paul Andrews Estate Collection:...

Presented by RM Sotheby's - The unmistakable flowing silhouette that marks the signature doors of Mercedes-Benz’s 300 SL Gullwing would form the basis of a sports car icon. With its unique “birdcage” frame that facilitated the fitment of the lift-up “gullwing” doors, the 300 SL revolutionized both contemporary car design and sheer performance of sports cars made in the 1950s. Its lightweight construction—or Super Leicht, from which it gains the “SL” part of its name—was intertwined with the power derived from the straight-six, 3.0-liter M198 engine for an enthralling and spirited driving experience. In the years leading up to the 1954 unveil of the production-spec 300 SL—labeled W198 and eventually offered in Coupe and Roadster body options—the famous German marque would hone the W194, the competition-ready predecessor to the roadgoing car, on motorsport circuits around the world. The earlier car, constructed in time for the 1952 racing season, racked up impressive wins at events including 24 Hours of Le Mans, Eifelrennen at the Nürburgring, and Carrera Panamerica road race in Mexico; many victories came as a result of the efforts of fabled team drivers including Juan Manuel Fangio, Stirling Moss, Hans Klenk, Karl Kling, and Hermann Lang.Success came at a golden era of motorsport for Mercedes-Benz, and so came the development of the W198. The company looked to build on their racing success with a version of the race car that customers could buy to drive on the road. In recognition of the United States as a critical market, the German marque launched the W198 at the 1954 International Motor Sports Show in New York as the first Mercedes-Benz ever shown overseas before being revealed in Germany. The U.S.-based Mercedes-Benz dealer, Max Hoffman, would deliver more than 1,000 of the 1,400 Coupe versions of the SL 300 made between 1954 to 1957, distributed to his dealership sites across the United States, as the car gained popularity and Gullwing fever struck the country. This very car was one of the Gullwing coupes to enter the United States in the 1950s. Shipped under order number 850 361 on 12 April 1957, the 300 SL Gullwing left the Stuttgart factory finished in DB 180 Silver Grey Metallic. A data card accompanies the car, but it very difficult to decipher; the interior code listed is believed to be L1, which decodes to dark blue vinyl with blue-grey plaid seat inserts. Optional extras on the car are noted to have been special upholstery, instrumentation in miles, bumper horns, a Becker-Mexico radio, automatic antenna, and rear-view mirror. It is believed that this example was among the last 20 of the Coupe versions of the 300 SL constructed before Mercedes-Benz transitioned production to the Roadster in 1957. Owner history suggests that this Gullwing was first delivered to a customer in California in May 1957, who would keep the car until selling to Mr. Kent Emigh in 1964. Mr. Emigh was a Mercedes-Benz specialist dealer and mechanic, living in Mountain View, California and he had worked with Max Hoffman to set up the 300 SL dealer network earlier in the 1950s. A big 300 SL enthusiast, he owned many over the years—but only this car would stand the test of time in his collection, remaining under Mr. Emigh’s care for over 45 years. With the luxury of a professional workshop to maintain and service the Gullwing, Mr. Emigh carried out and recorded many repairs in the decades that he owned it, all of which are documented in the car’s history file. Most notably, Mr. Emigh would refit the interior of the Gullwing in 1973 and installing the existing green upholstery, including the headliner. The notes, which list all work carried out by the mechanic from 1964 to 2011, record that upon purchasing the car, the Gullwing was suffering from engine problems, so it was rebuilt by Mr. Emigh in 1965, commenting, “Complete engine rebuild in my workshop. Had broken rings and considerable fuel in oil causing bearing damage … no other excessive wear noted.” Over the next few decades, Mr. Emigh would record all maintenance tasks, from oil changes and tire replacements to engine strip-downs, along with a record of mileage for most entries. In 2011, with his health forcing his hand, he decided it was time for a new custodian to enjoy the 300 SL. His notes claim the mileage at around 47,000 when he sold the car. One of the final jobs started by the long custodian of the car, Mr. Emigh sought to find new metal belly pans for the underside of the Gullwing, which were said to have been lost in the 1960s. The next owner took delivery of these, made by the 300 SL specialists, HK-Engineering of Germany, to the cost of €4,754.50 and documented in the paperwork that is presented with the sale of the car. Current ownership acquired the car in 2011 and chose to have the renowned specialists at Paul Russel and Company in Essex, Massachusetts to address a few minor things to ensure everything was in order. Today the car remains finished in Silver Grey, likely having benefitted from a repaint over the course of its life. It remains trimmed in the lovely green leather interior of the prior owner, Mr. Emigh’s, choosing. The car retains its matching-numbers body, chassis, and engine according to the factory data card and Gullwing registry. The exterior exhibits the beautiful styling of the 300 SL and is equipped with dual Talbot-style mirrors. It rides on factory wheels with color-matched wheel covers, wrapped in blackwall tires. The interior features a VDO clock and a Nardi wood-rimmed steering wheel with Mercedes-Benz horn button. The Gullwing is accompanied by a copy of its data card, spare wheel in the trunk, and a pair of fitted luggage made by Karl Baisch tucked neatly behind the seats. Finished in a wonderful color combination, with just three owners from new, including long term single-ownership from 1964 to 2011, this 300 SL exudes the sporting character of what is arguably one of Mercedes-Benz’s most celebrated models, the Gullwing. RM Sotheby’s is thrilled to announce the expansion of its Monterey auction this year with a third auction night dedicated to the incomparable Paul Andrews Estate Collection. Offered almost entirely without reserve, the impressive collection will kick-off RM’s flagship auction weekend on Thursday, 12 August.  View Listing

1962 Aston Martin DB4GT Zagato 0

By Edward Jones –  July 28, 2021

RM Sotheby’s Presents The Paul Andrews Estate Collection:...

Presented by RM Sotheby's - The Cobra-Corvette wars of the 1960s are legend, but no less heated was the battle early in the decade between Aston Martin and Ferrari for the World Sports Car Championship. Every season brought about a new, race-ready vehicle intended to ensure each company’s victory, and the teams continuously jockeyed for top honors. Each time one of the manufacturers achieved greatness, the other would, quite literally, race to meet it. When Aston Martin won the 24 Hours of Le Mans in 1959 in a decisive 1-2 victory, Ferrari updated the aging 250 GT “Tour de France” to the new SWB Berlinetta. Aston responded with the DB4GT, a competition version of their latest grand touring saloon, featuring a wheelbase shortened to 93 inches, lightweight alloy bodywork, and a specially tuned high-compression engine crowned with three large Weber carburetors. The DB4GT proved very competitive with the 250 GT SWB Berlinetta, even more so in the extraordinarily rare Lightweight configuration that literally matched the SWB in power and weight. Yet, such was the ferocity of the skirmish between Aston and Ferrari that simply matching the competitor was not enough.When Aston Martin won the 24 Hours of Le Mans in 1959 in a decisive 1-2 victory, Ferrari updated the aging 250 GT “Tour de France” to the new SWB Berlinetta. Aston responded with the DB4GT, a competition version of their latest grand touring saloon, featuring a wheelbase shortened to 93 inches, lightweight alloy bodywork, and a specially tuned high-compression engine crowned with three large Weber carburetors. The DB4GT proved very competitive with the 250 GT SWB Berlinetta, even more so in the extraordinarily rare Lightweight configuration that literally matched the SWB in power and weight. Yet, such was the ferocity of the skirmish between Aston and Ferrari that simply matching the competitor was not enough. Aston Martin turned to Carrozzeria Zagato to build what would be, for all intents and purposes, not only the ultimate DB4GT but the ultimate expression of what could be created on its platform—a DB to end all DBs. Zagato, in typical form, delivered with what is now considered to be their finest masterpiece, deftly combining design cues from both Aston Martins and earlier Zagato designs into a single harmonious shape. The car featured a slightly elongated nose and more pronounced grille, for a more aggressive look, while at the rear the taillights were blended into the fenders and the C-pillar reduced with a larger backlight, for an airier greenhouse. The beauty was not merely skin-deep, as Aston Martin worked to squeeze an additional twelve horsepower from the twin-cam six, and reduced nearly 50 kilograms of weight by using the same drilled chassis and aluminum floor panels found on the DB4GT Lightweights. If the 250 GTO represented the final statement from Ferrari in beauty and performance for its time, the DB4GT Zagato stood for the same from its arch rival. It is the definitive road-and-track Aston Martin of the company’s golden era, and thus acquisition of one of the 19 DB4GT Zagatos is the ultimate achievement for an Aston Martin enthusiast. As a result, DB4GT/0190/L represents the crown jewel of Paul Andrews’ distinguished collection. CHASSIS NUMBER DB4GT/0190/L Commander James Murray, believed to have been a U.S. Navy attaché, was typical of the fastidious original buyers who specified DB4GT Zagatos. According to a report on file from noted Aston Martin authority Stephen Archer, Commander Murray ordered his car through Garage Mirabeau of Paris with numerous unique features that all indicated a great level of thought put into his new automobile. The Shell Grey body was specified to be of a slightly heavier gauge of aluminum than standard, so as to be more robust, and was outfitted with glass door windows; a unique, wide-pattern “egg crate” grille, designed by Commander Murray himself; and taillight “stacks” similar to those of late DB4s. Special brake covers were fitted, to prevent brake dust from contaminating the shiny finish of the Borrani wheels, and a locking glove box lid was ordered. Originally the car was also outfitted with DB4GT seats, dual circuit brakes of the type used on Lancias, and special Italian-sourced gauges, none of which were preserved by subsequent owners, although the standard DB4GT-like finish of the dashboard is believed to be correct as specified by Commander Murray. This was the only one of the 19 Zagatos to be fitted with chromed brass window frames, rather than the aluminum frames seen on other cars, and was also unusually mounted with glass windows in the doors; the quarter-windows are Perspex as usually seen on this model. Chromed brass door pulls were also perhaps specified by Commander Murray, as they are present today and in keeping with the overall theme of the interior and trim. The penultimate Zagato produced, the car was recorded as completed on 26 June 1962 and delivered to the Commander a week later—but it had already been “complete” since May, when it was “tested” by Aston Martin team driver Roy Salvadori at the BRSCC race at Brands Hatch, finishing 1st in Class and 2nd Overall behind—what else—a 250 GTO, driven by Innes Ireland. Around 1964, DB4GT/0190/L passed from Murray to Ude Hansen of Malmo, Sweden, possibly through Garage Mirabeau’s auspices. Its next owner, Lars Wendal, a Swedish Aston Martin dealer, entered the car in local club racing events, but it was otherwise rarely seen into the early 1970s, and its history in this period remains somewhat unknown. In 1972 the car reappeared and was acquired by Tom Leake, replacing a DB4GT Zagato recently sold out of his hands. Mr. Leake commissioned Robin Hamilton to rebuild the car’s engine and fit dual Scintilla magnetos, which remain in place today. He subsequently raced the car for four years; it is definitively known that a ZF five-speed gearbox was installed during his ownership, and it is believed that he mounted the current Zagato seats as well. In 1976 the car was sold to Julian Cottrell, a London-based photographer, who reinstalled a correct David Brown four-speed transmission. Cottrell raced the car in Aston Martin Owners Club and other events in England for several years, supported by the mechanical talents of Hamilton and Ian Moss. During this time the car was refinished in Aston Racing Green and a battery cut-off switch inserted on the body behind the rear quarter windows, modifications reversed by the next owner, Richard Forshaw of Aston Martin Dorset. In its Forshaw ownership the car was completely restored between 1995 and 1997, with mechanical work by the Dorset specialists, chassis and bodywork by Alan Pointer, and paint by John Windsor’s GTC, and the body returned to its original color. It is believed that as part of this work the original engine, still present today, was internally uprated to between 3.7 and 4.2 liters displacement; it retained, and still does today, the Scintilla magnetos from the Leake ownership. After Mr. Forshaw’s passing, the car was sold in 1998 to Les Edgar. It subsequently moved to the United States in 2002, and was part of Chris Cox’s noteworthy collection for several years. Later it passed in 2016 to the noted competition car collector, Peter Goodwin, from whom it was purchased for the Andrews collection. A highly detailed 2015 inspection report from Stephen Archer, included in the file, notes that aside from a small panel in the offside rear quarter, where the cut-out switch was once located, there is no evidence of any new metal in the body; the hood and rear deck lids have their original steel frames and aluminum paneling showing Zagato’s hammer marks. Indeed, the overall restoration is extremely sympathetic, with metal and panel fits that are “Zagato-correct,” a fuel tank in the correct matte black finish, and all lights throughout of the correct type; the horn, indicators, and much of the dashboard hardware are also proper. In the Andrews ownership the car has been uprated, with new 16-inch painted wire wheels and tires, and considerable time spent dialing it in to run and drive at its very best, in the fashion typical for this collection. The Archer report indicates that at some point the front anti-roll bar was uprated in diameter, to improve handling, and additional dampers fitted within the rear coil springs—a well-executed modification for a DB4GT Zagato that was set up to be used and enjoyed. The Andrews collection has changed the interior back to the original DB4GT-style seats, upholstered in correct leather acquired from England at considerable cost. A full tool kit accompanies the car, along with a rally kit, the original 15-inch chrome wire wheels, the Zagato seats, invoices from the Andrews ownership, and the aforementioned Archer report. The offering of chassis number DB4GT/0190/L today marks the opportunity for a new owner to do as Paul Andrews did: acquire the pinnacle of its marque, a car for whom no excuses need be made, that represents the most significant dual-purpose Aston Martin of its generation and, simply, one of the greatest performance automobiles ever made. RM Sotheby’s is thrilled to announce the expansion of its Monterey auction this year with a third auction night dedicated to the incomparable Paul Andrews Estate Collection. Offered almost entirely without reserve, the impressive collection will kick-off RM’s flagship auction weekend on Thursday, 12 August.  View Listing

1963 Jaguar E Type Lightweight Continuation 0

By Edward Jones –  July 27, 2021

RM Sotheby’s Presents The Paul Andrews Estate Collection:...

Presented by RM Sotheby's - In 2014, Jaguar picked up where they left off in the 1960s and produced an additional six examples of the revered Lightweight E-Types. However, that number did not include this E-Type, “Car 0,” the first such Lightweight built for promotional use by Jaguar Classic. Not “replicas,” these were brand-new cars built as the originals had been, using the original engineering blueprints and designs as well as much of the original materials and methods. Further, the cars were given chassis numbers not utilized in the original production—thus “completing” the Lightweight E-Type model run. Needless to say, the project drew a great deal of attention, and the Jaguars were eagerly snapped up by private collectors. The new Lightweight E-Type (LWE) was based on a unibody built by JLR of Whitley, England, and fully wrapped in aluminum panels, which reduces its weight by 250 pounds over the production steel bodies; the shell was reproduced using detailed scans of an original lightweight body. The grade of aluminum and the forming methods were both the same used in the 1960s. It is important to note that while techniques such as high-strength aluminum alloys and bonded structures are now available and could have been used, they intentionally were not, as they would have invalidated the cars for historic racing events. To that end, a roll cage was mounted as standard equipment. The only components uprated have been for safety and durability, such as later oil and water temperature gauges and Willans safety harnesses. The engine is a Crosthwaite & Gardiner–built 3.8-liter inline-six with an aluminum block with steel liners, significantly reducing weight over the front wheels, and featuring a “wide-angle” aluminum head, dry-sump lubrication system, and either fuel injection or three Weber 45DCOE carburetors. Jaguar quoted over 300 horsepower and 280 foot-pounds of torque at 4,500 rpm, delivered to the rear axle via a close-ratio, fully synchronized four-speed transmission and single-plate clutch. Additional lightweight mechanical components included the radiator, oil cooler, and expansion tank for the coolant. The suspension was fitted with upgraded shock absorbers, controlling the front torsion bars and rear coil springs, while steering is handled by a stock E-Type rack-and-pinion system. Larger 12.25 in. brake discs were mounted at the front, while the perforated 15-inch-diameter wheels were correctly cast of magnesium. CHASSIS NUMBER S 851001 The LWE offered here, chassis number S 851001, was equipped with a 3.8-liter, six-cylinder engine with triple Weber carburetors and “wide-angle” cylinder head. This car, dubbed “Car 0,” was utilized by Jaguar Classic as a North American press car, widely seen in promotional materials and magazines as well as at the Rolex Monterey Motorsports Reunion on the Jaguar Special Vehicle Operations stand. Afterward, it was returned to the factory and rebuilt to “new” condition prior to delivery to its first owner. Today, offered from just its second owner, it has been only gently and occasionally used and now has only 718 miles recorded at time of cataloguing. It will place its next custodian in a very small club indeed, one of only seven persons who can enjoy the reborn Lightweight’s unbelievable, evocative performance, worthy of the legend. RM Sotheby’s is thrilled to announce the expansion of its Monterey auction this year with a third auction night dedicated to the incomparable Paul Andrews Estate Collection. Offered almost entirely without reserve, the impressive collection will kick-off RM’s flagship auction weekend on Thursday, 12 August.  View Listing

2018 Aston Martin Vanquish Zagato Coupe 0

By Edward Jones –  July 26, 2021

RM Sotheby’s Presents The Paul Andrews Estate Collection:...

Presented by RM Sotheby's - Much has been written about the iconic partnership between Zagato and Aston Martin. What began as a small one-time arrangement has spanned nearly seven decades—an unusual partnership between the Italian design firm and the British automaker. Although Aston Martin and Zagato are now firm collaborators, the partnership was not always so solidified. In 1960, Aston Martin commissioned Zagato to reimagine its DB4GT, the short-wheelbase, track-honed version of the DB4 touring car for the following season. The car debuted at the 1960 Earls Court Motor Show in London and won accolades immediately for the way it blended Aston Martin’s signature shape with design cues that were undoubtedly Zagato. Just 19 were built, and despite its period racing success, Brown did not call for a follow up. It was over two decades later when Aston Martin, now owned by Victor Gauntlett, called upon the design firm once again. The angular, modern version of the V8 Vantage coupe debuted at the 1986 Geneva Motor Show; despite the controversial design it was immediately sold out and a convertible version was ordered. Fewer than 100 models were commissioned all told, and the two companies yet again parted ways for another several years. In 2002, Aston Martin reached out to Zagato for a shortened version of its DB7 that harked back to the original DB4 Zagato. This time, the relationship had staying power. Subsequent Aston Martin Zagatos over the last 15 years have cemented the two brands together. At the 2016 Concorso d’Eleganza Villa d’Este on Italy’s Lake Como, Aston Martin unveiled the Vanquish Zagato, available in four body styles. Offered here, the Vanquish Zagato Coupe was produced in a limited run of just 99 pieces. Though unmistakable as an Aston Martin, the Vanquish Zagato Coupe has bodywork that could only have come from the pens at Zagato. Mostly composed of large one-piece panels, its carbon fiber body has few cut lines. Traditional Aston Martin elements such as its grille shape and side strake that runs from the wheel arch to the door remain intact. The Vanquish Zagato’s signature detail is its wraparound glass and visor-like double-bubble roof panel that pairs the design house founder’s early aeronautics background with a traditional racing design. Hints of the Aston Martin Vulcan and One-77 shine through in the “bladed” LED taillights and the side mirrors that appear to hover in the air. Inside, the Vanquish Zagato features an interior with a quilted pattern on its leather seats and door panels, herringbone carbon fiber trim, and Zagato badging. Under the hood, Aston Martin fitted an uprated version of their AM29 V-12 engine. Equipped with an eight-speed automatic transmission with paddle shifters and big CCM brakes lurking behind its 20-inch alloy wheels, the total output is an astounding 592 brake horsepower, with a top speed over 200 mph. Though the Vanquish Zagato’s prime appeal lies in its styling, the purity of its naturally aspirated V-12 and rear-wheel-drive make it a thrilling performer. The U.S.-market example offered here was the only Vanquish Zagato to be built in its subtly engaging Shell Grey special order paint scheme. Individually numbered example 48 of the 99 built still wears its factory-fitted 20-inch Pirelli P-Zero tires. This Vanquish Zagato will also be delivered with its original umbrella, a custom license plate bracket for its front bumper, a battery charger, and its original books and tire kit. It also includes its window sticker, which reflects a new price of over $777,000. A seamless blend of British and Italian style, this unique limited-edition Vanquish Zagato is an instant collectible. RM Sotheby’s is thrilled to announce the expansion of its Monterey auction this year with a third auction night dedicated to the incomparablePaul Andrews Estate Collection. Offered almost entirely without reserve, the impressive collection will kick-off RM’s flagship auction weekend on Thursday, 12 August. View Listing

1 1

By Edward Jones –  July 24, 2021

Mecum Monterey 2021: 1936 Delahaye Type 135 Competition C...

Presented by Mecum Auctions - The Delahaye Type 135 coachwork by Figoni et Falaschi launched a series of automotive design masterpieces from the revitalized carrossier, the most prized of which remains the 1936 “Compétition Court” Teardrop Coupe, Chassis No. 47242 and Body No. 609. This is the definitive expression of Giuseppe Figoni’s singular vision, a virtually organic blend of “Goutte D’Eau“ (Teardrop) contours unrivaled in its elegance, every detail fashioned, finished and placed with artistic finesse, a perfect arrangement of notes forming an exquisite composition. The last of six specially commissioned coupes completed by Figoni in 1936, Chassis No. 47242 is recorded in the Figoni company register, which notes the completed coupe was delivered to the Delahaye factory, suggesting it was exhibited in concours d'elegance or retained as a factory demonstrator. The Compétition Court chassis was one of Delahaye’s most exclusive offerings with only 30 estimated to have been built. It was a homologation special not listed in the company literature and offered through private arrangement only to “special friends” of the company in bare-chassis form to be fitted with lightweight custom coupe or roadster coachwork by the customer’s carrossier of choice. It was essentially a road-going Grand Prix-specification chassis on the shorter 106-inch wheelbase, described in the definitive history “Delahaye: Le Grand Livre” as having “a cocktail of parts from the series three Type 135 chassis and the Specials,” with additional specially made components. Its racing-purposed features included the powerful and reliable 3.5L competition-spec inline-6 engine—mounted low in the chassis to lower the center of gravity—a remote oil cooler mounted below the radiator, outside-mounted rear springs, a competition fuel tank with dual fillers and a rare competition-spec 4-speed manual transmission. This car’s body, No. 609, is unique among the six Figoni-bodied coupes, with its distinctive bonnet flanked by Marchal headlights faired into the inner front wings, a signature feature of future Figoni designs. Fashioned in steel with an aluminum bonnet, boot, fenders, doors and bumpers, its streamlined teardrop fender shapes are emphasized by accents flowing back from the bonnet’s leading edge, down across the doors and then scribing the rear fender arches. Thin chrome strips delicately accent the fender peaks, their contours repeated in small chrome accents on the rear fender skirts, and a central tail fin contoured to match those on the rear fenders divides the split rear window. Like many French treasures, the car was hidden from occupying forces during World War II, resurfacing in the early 1950s in the possession of Jean-Pierre Bernard, then sales manager for Delahaye and eventual founder and president of Club Delahaye. Its history shows that it passed through several owners in France before being sold to an Italian buyer around the end of the 1950s. Some four decades passed before it again re-emerged in the late 1990s, this time with a garage owner in Brescia who sold it to its next owner in Geneva, Switzerland. It was remarkably complete; while the opening for the sunroof had been closed, the operating mechanism remained intact, and the chassis plate showing No. 47242 was in its correct location on the firewall. The car was then imported into the United States, where it was restored for concours d’elegance judging. After its postwar discovery, the car had been fitted with a newer engine, so, in keeping with the strict standards of its restoration, the search began for an extremely rare Competition-spec 3.5L engine. Interestingly, the replacement—featuring the unique triple Solex carburetors and correct date-code stamping—was found not far from where the car was located for decades near Brescia. While the car’s mechanical systems were being rebuilt, the wood framework was refurbished to Figoni et Falaschi’s exacting standards, and the body was refinished in its magnificent black paint and rich chromed trim. The gorgeous interior is likewise worthy of the Figoni et Falaschi legacy, a luxurious mixture of supple red leather upholstery with quill ostrich inserts, hand-sculpted and mirror-polished wood trim, an elegant engine-turned dash panel and blue-faced gauges and tachometer. The masterful restoration of this exceptional automobile was rewarded with a First in Class upon its public unveiling at the 2001 Pebble Beach Concours d’Elegance. Amazingly, in 2003, in the space of less than one week, it earned Best of Show awards at the Celebration of Automobiles at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway and the Concours d’Elegance of Texas. Lovingly maintained in concours-winning presentation, it also earned Best of Show and People’s Choice at the 2014 Cobble Beach Concours d’Elegance in Kemble, Ontario, and it was honored with an invitation to the “Art in Automobiles” exhibit at the 2015 Canadian International Auto show in Toronto. A superlative machine built with great care and precision and restored to its original splendor, this 1936 Delahaye Type 135 “Competition Court” Teardrop Coupe is one of Giuseppe Figoni’s finest creations, a genuine masterpiece born of race-proven engineering coupled with the peerless vision of a master of the art of coachbuilding. This 1936 Delahaye Type 135 will be auctioned off during Mecum Auctions’ Monterey 2021 event, which runs August 12 to 14. View Online Listing

Live Auctions