The prevailing design aesthetics of the late 1950s – namely the near limitless use of chrome trim – saw the Corvette receive its first major styling update in 1958. The single headlight design was ditched in favor of exposed dual headlights on both corners, positioned above more prominent chrome-lined grilles. New chrome strips ran the length of the front end, while a distinctive louvered ‘washboard hood’ and rear bumperettes were unique to the 1958 model year.
Engine options remained the same, with the range-topping 283 cu-in V8 producing an impressive 290 horsepower thanks to the expensive optional Rochester Ramjet fuel injection. Inside, a completely redesigned interior featured factory-installed seatbelts and a dramatic dashboard housing a new 8,000 rpm tachometer on 270 and 290 horsepower models. Today, the “Fuelie” as its commonly known, is highly coveted as the fastest and finest American sports car of its time.
This car is part of the Retro Motors Collection, comprising over 30 cars largely from the 1950s through today, focusing on American muscle and high-powered European sports cars. View the full collection here. Bidding ends on 6/2 4:30PM EST.
– First model year to feature quad headlights and nine-tooth chrome grille
– One of approximately 1,007 Corvettes equipped with the 283 cu-in, 290-horsepower fuel-injected V8 engine in 1958
– Said to have been restored under previous ownership in Broken Arrow, Oklahoma
– Desirably equipped with a ‘T-10’ four-speed manual transmission
– One of approximately 2,006 Corvettes finished in Silver Blue paintwork in 1958, with a matching Silver Blue soft top, removable hardtop, and vinyl interior
– Bloomington Gold Bronze Certification issued 24 June 2016
– Displaying 1,330 miles on the odometer at the time of listing
– Steel 15-inch wheels with spinner hubcaps
– Chrome front and rear bumpers
– Convertible soft top
– Removable hardtop
– Three-spoke steering wheel
– Dashboard-mounted mirror
– Push-button AM radio
– Analog clock
– Heater and defroster
– Dual exhaust outlets
– Four-wheel drum brakes
– Known Imperfections
– Radio is inoperative
– Minor paint scratch near the right-rear wheel
– Paint chipping near the upper corner of the hood on the passenger side
– Two keys
– Car cover
– Hardtop stand
– The Corvette was purchased by the consignor circa 2010.
About Hagerty Online Auctions:
Every single vehicle on Hagerty Online Auctions is curated by our team of car specialists, with pre-sale and post-auction client support provided. For enthusiasts looking to buy or sell the most sought-after vehicles, Hagerty Online Auctions offer a trusted, hassle-free way to do it.